DESIGNED BY ARCHITECT & RESIDENT
HENRY K. HOLSMAN
The Sherman Garden Apartments that Holsman designed were built in 1946-1948.
The page banner (above) is from the original promotional brochure. It hailed these design concepts:
• “Better living through mutual ownership”
• “Designed for modern living”
• “Fireproof – [constructed of] concrete, brick and steel”
• “The neighborhood – lakefront parks & playgrounds, excellent transportation, good shopping center, schools & churches, recreational facilities, Northwestern University”
• “Centrally located in Evanston”
The photo of Holsman is from an original painting by the architect’s wife, painter & sculptor Elizabeth Tuttle Holsman. She designed the iconic animal decorations, cast in concrete, for the walls of SGA’s buildings.